Treating Osteoporosis vertebral compression fractures aims to restore mobility,
reduce pain and minimise the incidence of new fractures. Non-invasive
treatment (such as pain medication, bed rest, and back braces) focuses on alleviating symptoms and supporting the spine.
Non-surgical management of osteoporotic vertebral fractures might include:
- Anti-osteoporotic treatment, effective therapy have shown to reduce the risk of vertebral fractures by 30-70%.
- Pain relief with anti-inflammatory and pain medications.
- Short-term bed rest in cases of severe pain (patients should begin mobilising as soon as possible within the limits of their pain).
- Core strengthening exercises.
- Physiotherapy – postural exercise program, muscle strengthening and falls prevention program, hydrotherapy.